Monday 15 December 2014

52 pieces of music

A blog about music? Wow, that's original. That's never been done before.

A blog about birds? Wow, that's original. That's never been done before.

What about a blog about music AND birds? Wow, because yes, you're the only person who likes both music and birds.

No, I mean a blog about music that's actually got birds in it. How about a blog about that? A blog about music inspired by birds? That's exactly what the internet needs. Mindblowing.

So, starting in the new year, I'm going to post 52 pieces of music (that's one a week - I know, clever!) that somehow contain references to birds. Music written over many centuries, from all over the world and in a bazillion different musical styles, and all of them in some way about birds - imitation of birdsong, real recordings of birds, birds in folklore, mythology and used as metaphor, and probably some other slightly mad things that I can't quite categorise. Like this, Papageno the bird-catcher in Mozart's opera The Magic Flute.




The ultimate idea is that this blog becomes a massive hit - a www. global phenomenon like Friends Reunited or Ask Jeeves - and then I start to add advertising and I eventually find myself so obnoxiously rich that it genuinely makes me physically sick when I contemplate the grotesque enormity of my fortune. Or in reality, I'll probably give up and quietly delete the blog after two weeks, upon a cold and stinging realisation that nobody's interested, another failed dream that evaporates into the world wide ether.

And why is this blog called From the Canyons to the Stars? You'll just have to wait and see. Or Google it.

I'll post again next week with some more details, and then I'll be kicking off properly at the start of January.



No comments:

Post a Comment